1/5/09

New Years UnResolutions

Stuff of Life I’ve read a bunch of blogs today and it seems like most everyone has set some type of resolution for themselves. Things like lose weight, exercise, do more crafting, read, memorize scripture etc… For some reason I just have not gotten into the whole resolution idea this year. In the past I’ve successfully read the bible front to back, and read my bible daily as resolutions. This year? I don’t know. I guess I’m either not motivated, or already so convinced I’ll fail that I don’t want to resolve to do anything! But if I did resolve to do something, I’d probably have a list something like this: 1) Pray daily and keep a prayer journal. I love journaling, but rarely maintain the habit for any longer than a month at a time! 2) Read my bible and work on memorizing scripture (still working on that psalm from oh-so-long-ago!) 3) Engage my children in something new and interesting each day. Even if it’s just a little something, some days I feel like my kids just did the same-old-same-old! I know repetitive play is important, but a fun craft, or cooking activity or even new song makes the day a little less ordinary! 4) Take care of myself. This includes little things like making sure I get dressed and brush my hair before, say, eleven in the morning (!!!), eating foods that are not grain or dairy based (i.e. fruits and veggies!), exercising even once in a while and doing things that other people do for themselves but which I somehow feel I don’t deserve (like getting a hair cut, or buying clothes so I can finally stop wearing maternity clothes!) 5) Limit my on-line time. Actually this really should be a goal of mine. I am addicted to facebook and checking on other people’s blogs and following random links into the vast universe of the world wide web! Seriously a waste of time and energy. I would be so much better off just doing something rather than watching what other people are doing! 6) Try not to get library fines. I am not going to tell you how big my fines are. Suffice it to say they are big. Really big! 7) Hang out with my husband more often. You’d think that the fact that we share a house and 3 children would naturally lead to spending time together, but surprisingly this is not so. When the kids are conscious we’re both engaged in a sort of zone-defence parenting, and when they’re sleeping this last year we’ve both been fully engaed in creating lecture materials for Jim’s lectures in bio, micro, and chem. Whee. No, seriously. Whee. I’ll stop at 7 before I start really looking at how much I’d like to change in my life, and get truly depressed! Well, if you have a resolution, I hope you succeed! As for me, my resolutions are usually set in the morning, forgotten by mid-day, remembered in the evening, and sometimes scrambled to achieve in the evening or held over for another day! Cheers!

No comments: