8/9/08

Ramblings from Provost

Stuff of Life Things I never thought I'd hear myself say part 3: #897 Take your face out of your bowl. #341 You don't wear sunglasses on your penis. (I didn't say this to Jim by the way) #72 I'm not kissing your bum better. Mmmmmm.... Blueberries! I'm sitting in my sister's livingroom smelling fresh blueberry bran muffins baking in the oven. Yum. I had her honey oat bread a few days ago and was willing to forfeit all the day's calories to eat the entire loaf (I didn't, but I was willing). Conclusion: I love home cooked and especially home baked meals. I think heaven will be a place where fast food and microwave dinners are unheard of, where slow food and beauty in presentation will be a part of every meal. We're heading home today. Only a three hour drive and the kids are usually pretty good on the trip. We don't have any of those new fangled car DVD players or anything and are loathe to get one. Our TV at home doesn't even work so why would we do TV in the car? My kids watch an average of and hour a week, unless they go to Oma's or Nana and Grandpas where The Big Comfy Couch and Thomas are choice viewing. I like that my kids don't really know about TV characters, especially considering they are all mostly created to market products. According to the Bathroom Reader (which is my source of all interesting trivia... well most anyways) the writers of the newest Superman spent so much time (14 years?) rewriting because they kept having the script sent back with notes on it like "please add a robot or creature with tentacles" so that when the movie came out there would be more potential profit from action heros. Hmmm.. I didn't intend to go in the direction of an anti-media statement, but there it is. I'm enjoying August and am realizing that September will mark a big change for our family. Miriam starts preschool and following that there will be no escaping the inevitable kindergarten and subsequent schooling. We are entering the days of driving kids to and from, coordinating more than two schedules (currently just mine and Jim's), and doing school activities. I never intended to do preschool with any of my kids. But somehow Miriam discovered its existence and told me confidently that she was going. I'm assuming Finnegan and Carmen and number 4 (if there is a number 4) will do the same. I feel like I'm losing a bit of the control I've had over my kid's lives - choosing what and who will influence them. Now they'll be hanging around with media savy commercialized rugrats (yes, back to the soap box) and how will they not engage in that culture? But I can't homeschool... I just can't. I'd go crazy I think. Not that I don't love my kids, but the SAH (stay at home) life is not something I plan to do long term. Then again, once it's over maybe I'll want to go back. Seems we never really truly appreciate where we are until we're not there anymore. That's all for now. Spiritual Insight of the Day Love languages. They're important. Don't tell anyone, but when Jim and I played a "guess which love language you value most" game, Jim couldn't guess mine because it was the only one he couldn't actually remember! (I say this with a smile because I know he loves me I just think it's funny that I have to remind him once in a while that Acts of Service are far more important to me than Gifts, which he likes to buy!) For your reference the languages according to some sources are: Gifts, Acts of Service, Time, Physical Affection, and Verbal Affirmation (some sources add more). So, knowing that Verbal Affirmation is high for Jim, I worked last night to make a mini-book of Affirmations. 37 of them in honor of his 37th birthday. Why do I include this in my "Spiritual Insight" section of the blog? Well because I think God wants us to love each other and I think that going out of your way to love someone the way they like to be loved can be a spiritual discipline. It gets us out of our usual patterns and habits and reminds us that there is variety in love. So love your friends, family and neighbours the way they like to be loved as well as the way it's natural for you to love (my natural inclination is Acts of Service). Scrapbook Idea of the Day As I said, I made a mini book with NO PHOTOS. Try it. It's a challenge, but in some ways more beautiful than a book with photos. It calls upon your heart and mind in different ways. I thin I'd like to do one for each of my kids as an exercise in thankfulness and source of joy and remembrance.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hey, what happened to "Fat Bottomed Girls You Make The Rockin' World Go Round"? I want music!!! I dance to it like it's my theme song.