6/1/08

A Prescription to Blog

Stuff of Life There's an article in Jim's Scientific American this month about the therapeudic nature of blogging. I haven't read it yet (gotta be in the mood for geek-speak) but the implication is that this here what I 'm doing right now is beneficial to my mental health... Hey, I'm not going to say "no" to a boost to my current mental stability! If I’d had my camera this morning, I would have taken a photo of Miriam and posted it. Instead, I’d leant it to my mother yesterday so had to settle for video (not scrap-worthy unfortunately) and a verbal description here. As I was on the phone with my best friend Tara this morning, the house became suddenly very quiet… when there are two children and an infant in the house, this silence is usually a bad sign. So I put Carmen down and tiptoed upstairs to check on my munchkins. They were happily and quietly playing in their closet, sitting inside the IKEA drawer shelf that holds their clothes, but which they take the drawers out of and use as imaginary cars. And get this. Miriam had on the most hilarious outfit. She’d put on her flowered cloth swim diaper, flowered swim suit, Finnegan’s swim trunks, her green and white polka dot swim suit, a fuchsia swim suit with floating Styrofoam inserts, and a ridiculous pink cap which Carmen will grow into but will probably never wear because it’s so unfashionable! Cracked me up completely, but I managed to say in a really positive upbeat voice which only a mother can conjure up in moments like these “Hey, Miriam! Cool outfit! What are you wearing?” At which point I got the proud breakdown of her attire. She actually asked if she could wear it to church! I briefly considered it, in light of the song lyrics “Come, just as you are to worship!” (Tee hee J) Finnegan is such a sweet, gentle hearted boy, not your typical rough and rowdy boy, but first thing in the morning he wakes up and absolutely BELLOWS from his crib! Not in a mad/sad/impatient way, just for the sake of being loud. I have no idea how long he yells for someone to come and get him out of his wooden barred prison, but once he’s out, he’s his peaceful little self again! I should get him up from his nap right away… but the peace and quiet in the house right now is gooooood. Spiritual Insight of the Day I gots nuthin’. Feeling a bit drained and uninspired, spiritually today. I read a blog though – my he{ART} (see left link) – and I was reminded of the importance of just the basics, that is, simply scripture. No devotional, no discourse, no history… just the Word. God really does speak through His word. I’m going to take time to read my bible today. Scrap Idea of the Day You know all those scrapbook magazines and idea books sitting on your shelf? I don’t know about you, but I have no intention of letting them go any time soon (My husband on the other hand reads his Scientific American once and never picks it up again and is happy to recycle it… not a re-reader, that one!) But other than flipping through them from time to time, I haven’t really gotten the best use out of them. So my current project is a search for journaling ideas. Flip through, find a journal that is creative, and jot down a note about the format so I can imitate it in my own scrapbooks. I’m basically a big scraplifter, but given my stage in life (4 year old, 2 year old, 8 week old, working husband, Master’s degree in progress…) that’s about all I can muster up generally. My other project is organizing my photos in my computer. I’m renaming everything based on year-month-day (08-06-01 will be all today’s photos for example followed by a, b, c…). And once that’s done, I want to create index cards so I can easily scan for photos without going into my computer.

No comments: