6/6/08

Things Which Are Excellent and Praiseworthy

Stuff of Life It’s official! My wonderful husband is officially a “Doctor.” (Of philosophy, not medicine!) June 5, 2008 marks the convocation of James Sandercock as a Ph.D of Microbiology and Bioinformatics (or something like that!) I’m so happy for his achievement after 6 loooooong years of often frustrating repetitive experiments. And on a personal note FINALLY! IT’S OVER! It’s been a long 6 years for me too, not so much in the beginning, but towards the end as first one baby then another arrived and life became very busy. But this chapter is now over and we are entering into the world of “real” work with him teaching at the local college and hoping to move into something permanent. Deep breath… ahhhh… freedom… Spiritual Insight of the Day On the topic of convocation, during the President’s convocation address, she referred to the University motto “Que cum quae vera” (might be misspelled). It apparently means “Whatsoever is true” and originates from the bible, Phillipians 4:8, which states “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - thing about such things.” Of course the secular liberal arts University takes this phrase and twists it, but I digress. Here, today, is my response to this passage, the excellent and praiseworthy things I will think about: 1) The sky is cloudy and I can smell the rain in the air preparing to water the grass and plants and clean the dust off the trees and buildings. 2) Dinner last night was a splendid affair of beautifully laid out dishes, diverse flavours and enjoyable company. 3) My daughter is creative and independent and inquisitive and often eager to please. 4) My son is funny and gentle and bright and energetic. 5) My infant daughter is calm and cheerful and precious and sweet. 6) I have such fun friends with whom to play German board games and jam to rock band and scrapbook and just chat with. 7) My dishwasher ran this morning and my washing machine and dryer are busy in the basement… I’m blogging instead of being elbow deep in suds… if this isn’t praiseworthy, I don’t know what is! Scrapbook Idea of the Day I’m using Close to My Heart’s Cherish idea book to clean out my scrapbook supplies in preparation for a new batch. I take a bunch of related papers, check the idea book for a layout and throw it together in record time… no titles or journaling or even photos, but the pages are ready to be personalized, and if I’m not thrilled with the outcome, I have friends who will happily use the pages for their photos.

No comments: